DIY – Mobile Phone Sock. My phone used to live in a drawstring bag – the soft kind usually for sunglasses. The cover was black and with the interior of my bag also being black, it made for a comical scene whenever my phone rang, with me rummaging about.
So, I made a Phone Sock in a lighter colour. It’s an easy DIY if you want to make one too.
You will need:
- Socks or Toddler Leggings. Contrasting colour to the interior of my bag!
- Scissors. Sharp.
- Thread. Matching colour.
- Needle. Regular kind.
- Pen. Felt tip kind (you need it to mark fabric).
- Cactus Template. Or any other design you like.
- Felt. Regular ‘soft’ kind.
- Beads. If you make the cactus design, a few little green beads.
Also helps to have (not pictured):
- Mod Podge. I realised as I made the cactus, it helps to have. Explained below.
- Small Paintbrush. Flat, thin one to paint on the Mod Podge.
- Clear Nylon Thread. As well as the matching thread.
Start by cutting the toddler leggings with a sharp pair of scissors.
Depending on the size of your phone, you can make 4 of these phone socks, as the top and bottom are the same (not like normal socks).
Turn it inside out and sew (machine or hand) across the bottom – a small seam allowance.
You can use it just like this, or if you like the cactus design … keep following …
Cut out your design & turn upside down onto your material, which is also upside down …
… So when you trace the design with your pen, no ink will be visible on the FRONT.
Trim around the design with sharp scissors.
Flip it over – no ink showing Next, position the beads where you’d like.
I sewed the seed beads so they lay flat – I liked the little hole to show in the middle. This is also where I used the clear nylon thread, instead of regular thread, to keep a simple finish.
This is where I used Mod Podge – around the edges of the cactus to stop them fluffing up so much and will help with wear and tear. It dries clear – you can see it, not quite dry yet in the photo.
Use a simple stitch around the outside of the cactus to finish it off.
That’s it. If you used the leggings, you can make 3 more and give to friends!