DIY – Urban Outfitters Inspired Wall Hanging Hack. I pinned a picture of a wall hanging I really liked by Urban Outfitters awhile ago – but it was not available to purchase any longer – so what to do? Make my own! Here is the original by Urban Outfitters (below). It is called the Magical Thinking Athena Wall Hanging …
Notice the strings (on the bottom) on the original are different to the DIY Urban Outfitters Inspired Wall Hanging Hack. It is easier enough to string just like the original Athena Wall Hanging also if you want.
It has always reminded me of an X and an O – so this is sort of a DIY – Valentine Wall Hanging 😉
You will need:
- Plastic or Drillable ring – 25cm (10″) approx.
- Cardboard or Paper to draw your template
- Pencil & Sharpie
- Paint & Paintbrush for your Ring
- Pin & String (if you are using to draw your circle)
- Drill and 1mm Drill Bits
- 8 – 9 metres of 3x3mm or similar Rollo Chain (Bronze)
- 14 Eye Pins (Match Chain)
- 10 Head Pins (Match Chain)
- Jewellery Tools – Long & Round Nose Pliers & Snips
1. Trace or if you are not confident, use a pin, a piece string and a pencil (draw a circle) to get inside and outside outline of your ring (note: I already had my template drawn and the extra bigger circle that you see was from another larger ring I used – but same principle).
2. Find the center, then evenly draw 6 strings each way to make an X (right angles needed). Mine are spaced approx 1.5cm apart
3. Use your sharpie to mark where to drill on the inside and outside of your ring. You will drill 48 holes total (24 on the inside and 24 on the outside. Drill through completely – makes it easier to thread the pins later). You may need spare drill bits handy as they can gunge up. Do not keep using the same drill bit if it is drilling bigger and bigger holes, as you don’t want the pins to pull through. Note: Yes, some of them end up on quite an angle – but as long as it is drilled straight through.
4. You can measure approx. strings of your chain and cut ready. Or attach and cut as you go. You will need 8 to 9 metres of rollo chain. It might seem excessive, but this is what is needed as it adds up. ie. (25cm x 6) x 2 = 3m, plus the lengths of the tails. For this DIY they add up to being over 5m = over 8m total, so make sure you have enough chain.
I painted my ring with a mix of gold and bronze model paint, but choose whatever you like.
Next is the actual stringing to complete this Wall Hanging. The diagram is more succinct showing the positioning of the pins. You will need 14 Eye Pins (2 up the top and 12 down the bottom) and 10 Eye Pins (5 on each side up the top only).
Attach all the PINK (as in diagram below) side first. Pull the chain fairly taught, but be careful to not pull the links apart. With all of the pins that attach to the chain, finish using your jewellery pliers (closed loop).
Then attach each BLUE (as in diagram below). Weave under and over (see diagram below) and finish by again finishing using your jewellery pliers (closed loop).
Below is a close up re: weaving the lines of chain in the middle (over and under, etc) …
Attach your stringing cord (to hang to the wall – you remembered that set of eye pins up the top didn’t you!). Finish with your lengths of chain for the ‘tails’. For reference the measurements I used were:
60cm, 52cm, 45cm 39cm, 32cm and the shortest 28cm (x 2 for the tails each side).
Attach them longest or shortest on the outside depending on whether you want it to look more like the original Athena Wall Hanging or not. Following this DIY – Urban Outfitters Inspired Wall Hanging Hack – you should then end up with something like this …You can fiddle with the chain to get the spacing just right. As long as your initial drilled holes were fairly accurate, it will work out just fine!I’m really happy with the way this DIY turned out. I’m not sure whether I will change the tails or not – what do you think?