DIY – Doggy Day Bed. Transform a floor cushion into a comfy (and stylish) day bed for your furry friend(s).
You will need:
- Large Cushion Cover. I found one (64cm / 25″ square) at an op shop for $1.
- Mod Podge. I used the Matte kind. This is the first time I’ve used Mod Podge!
- Glitter. Superfine in whatever colour you please. I used Light Gold.
- Container. To mix your glue and glitter.
Sponge Brush. Actually it’s just easier to use your finger – if you don’t mind mess.
- Hobby Knife. Nice and Sharp – Be Careful!
- Cardboard. Small piece for making your stencil / template.
- Stuffing. I bought a couple of pillows for stuffing. ($5 for 2 from Target Australia)
- Comfort Seeking Pet. ‘Model’ is my 14 year old ‘puppy’ 🙂
How to :
- Think about the design you’d like and how to repeat it. I chose a random rectangle. Some other ideas are polka dots, triangles, hearts or bones.
- Cut out your design in the cardboard with the hobby knife.
- Mix equal parts of Mod Podge and glitter in a small quantity into a container. ‘Paint’ this mixture into your stencil onto the cushion. Using your finger works well. Don’t go too thick. You can always go over a second time if it needs more.
- Continue around the edge of the cushion. I chose to only do the outer edges, because my dog is a terrier and likes to dig (and will probably remove the glitter!) and also just in case it is itchy on the skin. (This was not problem as per photos!)
- Stuff with the stuffing. I like to recycle where I can, but I did not have any spare pillows and decided to get some new (clean) ones – they were only $5 from Target.
- Last picture – Do you think it is comfy? 🙂
The glitter seems to be holding well so far. I’ll touch up where necessary. Have to say I’m impressed with Mod Podge. It’s not so readily available here in Australia, but happy that I searched it out after reading many a northern hemisphere craft blog singing its praises!