DIY – Cute Cactus Pin. This little desert friend was repurposed from a faux leather purse that was torn on the inside. The green colour lends itself to being made into something plant based, I thought and cacti seem to be very popular at the moment, so here we go…
How to :
1. Find a purse that you can repurpose. Green is good, but it doesn’t have to be.
2. Draw some designs or use mine as a template. Just keep it fairly simple.
3. Cut out your design with some sharp scissors.
4. Trim a piece of faux leather from the purse and then trace your design onto it.
5. Note: My cactus was cut in two sections, just because it fit better on the fabric.
6. Glue to a backing piece of stiff felt. Use a single piece of fabric for strength.
7. Trim around the backing felt. Nail scissors were useful for this.
8. Glue on the ‘pin’ part. I used a tie tack or use a bar brooch pin or an old badge.
I added some dots of colour with nail polish, using a toothpick for easy application. These colours are gold/bronze, pale blue and navy blue. (I mixed black and blue to make navy).
Cacti require very little watering anyway, but this one will require none. Pin to your shirt, bag, hat, whatever. If you’ve got a purse or bag that’s cactus, make a cactus I say!
Cactus – Australian slang for broken, not working